Fisherman dies after swallowing live fish used to hook bait

A file photo of a fisherman repairing his boat at Sori beach on Lake Victoria at Nyatike. /MANUEL ODENY
A file photo of a fisherman repairing his boat at Sori beach on Lake Victoria at Nyatike. /MANUEL ODENY

A 26-year-old fisherman died on Thursday afternoon after he accidentally swallowed a live fish at Lwanda Konyango beach in Nyatike sub county, Migori County.

Omondo Okuna is said to have been holding a smaller fish in his mouth used as bait in a hook.

The live fish wriggled off and slid down his throat, chocking him to death.

A colleague, Nyaseko Oyany, said they attempted to resuscitate him to no avail.

Area chief James Oloo said the incident occurred while Okuna was checking hooks and offloading catch from his colleagues.

“He was pronounced death upon reaching Sori Dispensary Hospital in Sori town,” Oloo said.

The chief is now appealing to the fishermen to take extra precaution to avoid such fateful incidents.

The body of the deceased is at St. Camillus hospital mortuary and is awaiting autopsy.