A couple from Nyandarua has died in unclear circumstance after a drinking spree.
Samuel Mwangi, 57, and Lucy Mugure, 40, died on Wednesday night after drinking at Makara shopping centre in Mirangine.
Their families say they drank killer brews in a pub. But authorities say they may have consumed some other substance apart from alcohol.
Peris Matu said on Thursday her sister Lucy travels about 2.5km to Makara for a drink. “She was brought home by some people in critical condition. I put her to bed, but when I went to check on her later she was not moving. She was pronounced dead at Nakuru Provincial General Hospital,” Matu said.
She said when they got back home they heard Mwangi had also died.
Kamau’s younger brother, Stephen Kariuki, said his sibling’s drinking had gotten worse since Sunday.
He said he appeared like “someone who had gone mad”. He sold all his maize to buy alcohol. “He has not been sleeping at home. He has been drinking all day without eating,” Kariuki said
Some people suspect the couple may have been poisoned, or the man may have committed suicide. Kamau was found with a pesticide in his pocket – Duo dip – which is used to control tick.
Matu’s nephew David said the poison could have been planted on Kamau to conceal the truth.
Chief Peter Juma confirmed the chemical was found in Kamau’s pocket. But he did not divulge more information.
Mirangine deputy county commissioner Omar Ali said they are investigating and a postmortem will be carried out.