Former Gem MP Jakoyo Midiwo (pictured) has finished submitting his testimony in an election petition at the Siaya High Court alongside other witnesses..
Initially, he had 10 witnesses, including himself, however, one witness withdrew. He crossed over to support Gem MP Elisha Odhiambo.
Midiwo is challenging the election of Odhiambo. He has sued Gem returning officer Martin Omollo over electoral malpractices.
Cross-examined on Friday before Judge Esther Maina, he told the court the appointment of Omollo was against the law.
He claimed Omollo was still a director of Jamatt Investment Company at the time of his appointment as the returning officer. He had neither resigned nor notified his employer.
He further accused the returning officer of being biased.
Midiwo said Omollo had conflict of interest, given that his company, Jamatt, receives Siaya county government tenders. He said Siaya Governor Cornel Rasanga campaigned for his opponent, Odhiambo.
Midiwo said the signature of Gem ODM chairman Douglas Otiato was on Form 35B, yet his name was not gazetted as an agent. He added that he did not have an appointment letter to be an agent in the August 8 General Election.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.