Veteran radio journalist Leornard Mbotela is alive, contrary to reports that he died in a road accident on Saturday.
Reports by social media bloggers indicated that Mbotela had died. Messages of condolences trickled after the false news spread.
But the journalist, famed for the "Je huu ni ungwana" show on KBC, said he is alive and has forgiven the person who started the rumors.
"I forgive the person who crafted and peddled the false report that I perished in a road accident."
"He does not know what he is doing. May God forgive him," he said on live radio.
Mbotela said he is full of life adding: "I thank God. I urge you to pray for me to live longer."
The journalist said he has never received as many calls as witnessed after the 'bad rumour' spread.
"International media houses all have called me to ascertain the accuracy of the online reports," he said.
"I would like to confirm to KBC listeners, my fans and relatives that I Mbotela, I am alive currently speaking to you on radio."
The bloggers, among them Cyprian Nyakundi, who also tweeted about his death apologised for the false information.
"If you had reposted the same story please delete and clarify that he is ok. Let's wish Mbotela a long life . He is a role model to many," Nyakundi said.
Abraham Mutaiâ said: "Again ladies and gentlemen, I apologise for incorrectly posting here about Leonard Mambo Mbotela. Errors are human. Mbotela is sound and OK."
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.