The ODM party DisputeResolution and Appeals Tribunalhas nullifiedthe nomination ofDennis WafulaOkinda as the party's nominee forMatayosSouth MCA.
The ruling was deliveredin Busiaon Monday and signed bychairpersonVincent Mulondo, secretaryCalistusNyegenye and membersJentrix Nasirumbi andHellenEtyang'.
The tribunal said Okinda is barredfrom further party activitieson groundsof causing violence.
The tribunaldirectedreturning officer Justice (rtd) Vitalis Juma to issuea certificateof nominationfor Matayos South MCA toLinus Ouma Asiba.
Addressing the press in Busia on Wednesday, Asiba thanked the tribunalforthe ruling and promised to deliver the seat to ODM on August 8.
Okindasaid, however, he will move to court to challenge the ruling by the tribunal to nullify his nomination after he emerged the winner with 1,249 votes againstAsiba's828.
"I was notinvolved in any violenceby disruptingthe voting exercise in a number of police stations, includingIgero, Nang'oma and Murende, as alleged. I neverferried voters in my vehicle or meted violenceon the petitioner'sagents or supporters," he said.
The petitionercalled six witnesseswho said Okinda was involved in the alleged malpractices.
However, Okindasaidthe tribunal did not call him to clarify the allegations.
Bwiri ward nominee Wilberforce Sandeis also up in arms after the tribunalnullified his nomination and directed that Peter Oyugi,who finished second, will carry the party's flag.
Reports also indicate the tribunal has nullified the nomination ofWilberforceSande (Bwiri ward) andCamulus Obada (Agenga Nanguba) and repeat elections ordered forApril 25.
Thetribunal has also nullified the election of Chris Nakitari asBunyala West MCA and replaced him withJoash Oniang'.
STAR COMMUNITY POLICY AND PARTICIPATION GUIDLINES
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.