Two leaders from Mt Elgon constituency have urged Agriculture CS Willy Bett to appoint someone from the Sabaot community as the next Kenya Seed Company chief.
Politician Peter Sirai and Mt Elgon Welfare Association chair Benard Cheptai said no one from the community has
ever headed a parastatal. “Communities that have interests in certain sectors should be rewarded with leadership positions,” Sirai said on Sunday.
He said the Sabaot people “overwhelmingly” voted for Jubilee. “We have people who are more than capable of running parastatals,” Sirai said.
Cheptai said Mt Elgon is the breadbasket of the country. “We produce enough food to feed our country and export more to other areas. Therefore, the community should be rewarded.
This will be a big boost to developing and improving the food security,” he said.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.