Skip to main content
September 22, 2018

Vihiga workers demand Sh33m for dismissal

Vihiga County Governor Wilbur Otichilo addressing Vihiga county staff at the county government headquaters.
Vihiga County Governor Wilbur Otichilo addressing Vihiga county staff at the county government headquaters.

A court battle between the Vihiga government and 204 casual workers is looming after their contracts were terminated at the end of June.
In a letter to Vihiga county secretary, the workers want three-month salary payment as notice, one month salary  for the number of years they worked and statutory deductions for the last four years because the money was not submitted to NHIF and NSSF.
The casuals are thus  demanding Sh33 million.
Their lawyer, J. W. Sichangi, said his clients had been in employment for more than five years, which amounts to permanent employment.
He also said the casuals were dismissed verbally.
Last week, the  assembly passed a motion compelling the county government to retain all the casual workers whose contracts were terminated.
However, Deputy Governor Patrick Saisi said the executive has not received any communication from the assembly.  
Early  last month, an audit report by the Directorate of Personnel Management that began last September showed  the county Public Service Board had failed to ensure the two-thirds gender rule in recruitment. It said men were largely left out.  At the time, the county had 3,234 employees.

Poll of the day