Mbita MP Millie Odhiambo's personal assistant Derrick Ochieng was on Wednesday charged with insulting Rangwe legislature Lilian Gogo on her Facebook account.
Ochieng who is also a city freelance journalist appeared before Milimani Chief Magistrate Francis Andayi and denied the charges.
He is accused of committing the offence on diverse dates between February 1 and March 10, 2018.
According to the charge sheet, Ochieng jointly with others not before the court, by use of print, digital and electronic means published and broadcasted insults to the facebook account of MP Gogo that read as follow;
"You are a thief and not worth being an MP for Rangwe constituency, with intent to insult, cause fear and alarm to the people of Rangwe in Homa Bay county and the general public".
The accused said the charges against him are meant to intimidate him in his line of duty.
He urged the court to grant him lenient cash bail saying that he is a father of three siblings who depend on him.
The magistrate, however, ordered him to be released on a cash bail of Sh50,000 pending the hearing of the case on April 11.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.