Lunga Lunga MP Khattib Mwashetani on Tuesday said no exploration activities will be allowed in the subcounty by the Ministry of Mining.
He said the activities could displace poor locals from their land and only a few would benefit from the minerals.
Deposits of rare earth minerals were found at Mrima hill in the area.
He said Msambweni residents where Base Titanium is operating are living a hard life after being relocated and will not allow the same to happen to his constituents.
Lunga Lunga Member of Parliament Khattib Mwashetani has told the ministry of mining that they will not allow any exploration activities in Lunga Lunga sub county.
Mwashetani said, the whole of Kenya has minerals and they should not use their constituency as an excuse to displace locals.
Deposits of rare earth minerals were found at Mrima hill in Lunga Lunga but leaders and locals have refused to give room to mining firm to explore the resources.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.