Midfielder Maurice Odipo has attributed Sofapaka’s win away at Kakamega Homeboyz last weekend to hard work and diligence.
Odipo, one of Batoto Ba Mungu’s senior players, said they had resolved to treat the match like a final after losing their 2018 Kenyan Premier League opener to Bandari.
“We did not expect to have a smooth ride since away matches are not child’s play. Losing to Bandari in our first match was a sad epitaph to us and we had declared that there is no room for another error. I must congratulate my teammates for giving a hard fight which resulted to the win,” said Odipo.
Super sub Elli Esieche scored the winning goal for Sofapaka in the stoppage time to hand Batoto Ba Mungu first win of the season.
The disciplined defensive midfielder particularly heaped praise on Asieche, who was signed from Kariobangi Sharks for giving his all in the match.
“Scoring on debut for Sofapaka will inspire Asieche going forward and I urge him to continue working hard for our beloved club. I believe other new players would also wish to have their names inscribed in the score sheet,” observed Odipo.
During the match, the vengeful Sofapaka exhibited an almost flawless game and would have won with a wider margin were it not for numerous missed chances.
In the meantime, the head coach Sam Ssimbwa, who is in his native Uganda, is expected to rejoin the team later this week.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.