KDF troops on Wednesday killed three al Shabaab militants within Boni forest and recovered weapons from them.
Spokesman David Obonyo said in a statement that one other fighter was killed by a IED that exploded prematurely as he tried to plant it on Sarira-Kolbio road.
He said they found the militant's body approximately 3 km from Sarira after the 3am blast.
Obonyo said the troops were later ambushed by another group of fighters leading to the death of the three in an ensuing exchange of fire.
"There were no casualties on the KDF side. The troops recovered 3 AK 47 rifles, 236 rounds of ammunition, bomb making materials, and personal items."
Obonyo appealed on the residents around the expansive forest to provide information on any individual seeking treatment for gunshot wounds.
"Some militants managed to escape into the forest," he said.
Earlier, police reported that two Kenyans were executed by the militants in Somalia for allegedly spying for the Kenyan and Somali intelligence agencies.
Hassan Yussuf and Mohamed Hassan from Marsabit County were beheaded by the militants in front of the locals on February 12 in Qunyo Barrow town, Lower Shabelle region.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.