NASA leaders in the National Assembly have asked Speaker Justin Muturi to intervene and get their security personnel and vehicles reinstated.
Minority leader John Mbadi and Minority Whip Junet Mohamed yesterday told the House they were stripped of their privileges unprocedurally and unconstitutionally.
The duo called on Muturi to protect the independence of Parliament, alleging that it had been subjected to control by the Presidency.
“The police service has changed its moto from Utumishi kwa Wote to Utumishi kwa Jubilee (from Service to All to Service to Jubilee). Mr Speaker, assert the authority of this House because one becomes property of the Parliamentary Service Commission, which you chair,” Junet said.
“Are we going into an era where Parliament is being micromanaged by the Executive? We were all elected by the people, yet Jubilee MPs are entitled to security and cars.”
More on this: State withdraws NASA leaders bodyguards
But Majority Leader Aden Duale interjected and said the claims could not be substantiated.
“Parliament precedence is that you must support the relevant laws that outline the rights of MPs to enjoy security details and cars. There is no such provision in the Standing Orders or any other law that govern the National Police Service,” Duale said.
Muturi said: “The matter is being addressed and an appropriate decision will be communicated to you.”
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.