Ugunja MP Opiyo Wandayi has asked Siaya leaders to focus on development, not the political affairs of the 2022 general election.
Such talk is "useless and unnecessary" at the moment, Wandayi said on Monday, adding Nasa leader Raila Odinga's role as the people's president should take centre stage.
The lawmaker further said it is pointless to campaign early as the efforts have no impact on residents.
Regarding his ambitions, he said: "Let no one speculate on the position I will be vying for in 2022. I have my own mouth ... when that time comes I will speak."
Wandayi's sentiments came weeks after his close ally Austin Makamu said it is time for him to succeed Governor Cornel Rasanga.
Makamu cited regional balance in saying Alego Usonga had had its turn.
"For now the highest position Alego Usonga constituency can be considered for is that of the Deputy Governor," he said.
He termed Wandayi tried and tested as he has served as Member of Parliament for two terms.
Alego Usonga MP Samuel Atandi has declared interest in the Governor position.
But he noted he will concentrate on constituency roles in the meantime.
"Let us all ensure Rasanga delivers without any form of friction from leaders as we all need the same space," he said.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.