Skip to main content
December 17, 2018

Mombasa hails progress in fight against chikungunya

Mombasa Health Executive Hazel Koitaba during a press conference on Friday February 9, 2018. /JOHN CHESOLI
Mombasa Health Executive Hazel Koitaba during a press conference on Friday February 9, 2018. /JOHN CHESOLI

Cases of viral Chikungunya fever have drastically gone down over the past few weeks, Mombasa Health CEC Hazel Koitaba has said.

The disease, which is predominantly transmitted by mosquitoes, has affected dozens of Mombasa residents since December last year.

A report by the Ministry of Health and the Mombasa county government shows that as of January 31, only 32 tested positive out of the 453 cases reported.

Speaking during a press conference at Governor Hassan Joho’s office on Friday, Koitaba said the viral disease has been contained, hence no cause for alarm.

"Let members of public be informed that Chikungunya has already been contained and it is no longer an epidemic in Mombasa," Koitaba said.

She said the county government has put measures to curb further spread of the disease.

Joho’s administration bought five fogging machines from Malasyia at Sh5 million which are being used to spray the residential areas.

According to the county government, Malaysia was the country worst-hit country by Chikungunya and has developed effective spraying techniques and equipment.

Koitaba said: "The fogging and spraying of the residential areas has really helped containing the spread of Chikungunya."

In Mvita, 140 cases were reported, Changamwe (65), Jomvu (43), Likoni (104), Kisauni (63), while Nyali had 20 cases.

Read: Mombasa fights chikungunya virus with Sh15m fogging machines

Click here for the latest political news

 

 


Poll of the day