Nine schools and a polytechnic in Kerio Valley remain closed following a bandit attack on the Pokot-Elgeyo Marakwet border last Saturday.
Five people were killed and an estimated 300 cattle stolen as families and workers fled the area.
The perennial insecurity is unfortunate and must be reined in so that the residents of the area can live normal lives.
Its particularly urgent since no learning can take place in such an environment. Yet the students in this area will eventually be assessed on the same basis as students from conflict-free areas; the time for covering the syllabus remain the same as that for other candidates the will sit for examinations with.
Coincidentally, the Interior and Education ministries are now in the same hands. This hasten the intervention to mitigate the depredations of the bandit-prone region so that conditions fit for learning can be sustained throughout the year.
But this deplorable situation is not limited to Pokot and Elgeyo Marakwet alone.
There are many parts of the coast, northern and western Kenya where useful economic and educational activity is imperiled by insecurity and adverse living conditions that must top the government's agenda.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.