A miner who was buried in a collapsed gold mine in Kanyasrega Nyokal has been pulled out alive after three days.
Joseph Owino, 42, was rescued on Wednesday. The 50-foot-deep mine collapsed on Sunday as the miners were leaving for the day.
“He was buried alive right in front of our eyes. It was like a dream,” Ismael Okech said. The miners heard him talking and started digging with their hands. “We almost lost hope on the last day, when he stopped talking. We thought we would find him dead, but his will was strong,” Okech said.
Awendo subcounty commissioner Alfet Jillo, Central Sakwa MCA Edward Ouma and Disaster Management executive Kephas Nyamita organised excavators. As Owino was rushed to hospital, his co-workers shouted praises to God, wept and prayed.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.