All the counties have been connected to fibre optic cable.
ICT Cabinet Secretary Joe Mucheru yesterday said this will ensure work is done efficiently and conveniently in the county offices, improve technology, create employment and improve revenue collection.
Twenty-two subcounties have also been connected to the cable. Mucheru said the work of the national government is to connect internet to the county headquarters and the counties, while private companies expand to subcounties.
“Another international cable, which is on the way, will improve infrastructure and quicken internet in the country,” he said.
Mucheru spoke in Nyeri town, when he visited Governor Mutahi Kahiga in his office.
“The national government must use technology and also establish ICT hubs in small towns to improve communication and create jobs. This is our master plan, which will go up to Vision 2030,” he said.
More than six million Kenyans have already been served through the eCitizen programme and more than 60,000 people are served in Huduma Centres across the country.
“The Ajira Programme also has more than 100,000 youths working online. Some 1,000 secondary schools are being served with computers and broadband internet annually,” he said.
Kahiga said the national government is setting up an ICT hub at Dedan Kimathi University.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.