Octopizzo went through a rough life in Kibera but is now living on the fast lane. One thing many people didn't know, though, is that his great grandfather was the first black Kenyan Cabinet minister in the colonial period.
Appolo Ohanga was born in 1913 at Got Regea in Siaya, Nyanza provinc.
He was a keen musician and an accomplished organist. In 1943, he was elevated to the same rank as graduate teachers in recognition of his outstanding ability. While at Maseno, he got married in 1943 to Truphosa Margaret Okinyo, a school teacher, and they had 10 children.
In 1986, he was awarded the Order of the Grand Warrior of Kenya by President Daniel Arap Moi.
Ohanga died on January 23, 1992, at the Aga Khan University Hospital, Nairobi.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.