Two die of cholera in Mombasa, 17 cases reported | The Star, Kenya Skip to main content
August 22, 2018

Two die of cholera in Mombasa, 17 cases reported

Cholera patients in an isolation room at a dispensary in Majengo, Mombasa county, November 23, 2017. /Elkana Jacob
Cholera patients in an isolation room at a dispensary in Majengo, Mombasa county, November 23, 2017. /Elkana Jacob

The Mombasa health department has confirmed two deaths as a result of cholera.

The two were among four people hospitalised with symptoms. Two from Maka area in Likoni tested positive for the bacterial infection while the other, two, from Vijiweni village, tested negative.

County communications director Richard Chacha issued the statement from chief health officer Hadija Shikely.

He said 17 cases had been reported but that the county had taken steps including closing all unlicensed food outlets.

“The county will close all unlicensed food joints," he told The Star at his office on Friday.

So far, Chacha said, notices have been distributed on the closure of such businesses to prevent the spread of the disease.

Residents were also asked to maintain high standards of cleanliness.

“There are health barazas aimed at sensitising people on how to protect themselves," Chacha added.

The disease was contained last year after two people died while 25 of 80 reported cases were found to be positive.

More on this: Activists to sue Mombasa over two deaths due to cholera

Also read: The dirtiest county in Kenya? Mountains of garbage spark cholera outbreaks in Mombasa

Click here for the latest political news

 

 

 

Poll of the day