Skip to main content
November 22, 2018

Teso, Bungoma settle for out-of-court deal

Bungoma governor Wycliffe Wangamati signs into office during the handover ceremony at Masinde Muliro Kanduyi stadium on August 23,2017/file
Bungoma governor Wycliffe Wangamati signs into office during the handover ceremony at Masinde Muliro Kanduyi stadium on August 23,2017/file

The Teso community has agreed to withdraw a petition against Bungoma Governor Wycliffe Wangamati that had stopped the vetting of executive nominees.

The parties appeared before judge Abida Aroni yesterday, saying they have reached an amicable solution and would want to settle the issue out of court.

The community had moved to the High Court in Bungoma seeking to stop the vetting.

Aroni last month granted temporary orders to stop the vetting.

Through lawyer Anwar Mohamed, the community had argued that the governor violated the Constitution by failing to include them in his cabinet.

“I hope there will be an amicable and happy ending for both parties,” the judge said. However the chairman of the Teso community David Kapule and his deputy Joseck Okisayi differed outside the court.

Okisayi was opposed to the out-of-court agreement, saying the entire community leadership was not consulted.

“I will file a new petition. The decision was made by some people who did not consult,” Okisayi said.

Earlier, the court had been treated to drama after Bungoma county chief of staff Allan Chenane threatened lawyer Mohamed.

This prompted the judge to halt the case and summon Chenane. Chenane appeared before the court last week for threatening a lawyer handling a petition against the county.

Aroni ordered advocate Amos Makokha to avail Chenane before the court for accosting and threatening a court officer.

 

Poll of the day