A vehicle carrying 10 AP officers almost run over an IED planted by al Shabaab militants in Lamu East on Tuesday.
Militants, who were hiding in a bush, also shot at the vehicle.
No one was hurt. Only the vehicle windscreen was shattered.
The officers were on patrol at 6.30pm near the Kiunga Kengen Power Station on the Kiunga-Mkokoni road when they were attacked.
Lamu county commissioner Gilbert Kitiyo said an unknown number of al Shabaab militants shot at the AP vehicle, shortly after it had evaded running over the IED.
He said there was exchange of fire between the militants and the officers for about 20 minutes.
The officers overpowered the terrorists.
Kitiyo said the few al Shabaab militants remaining in the county are getting frustrated by the day as the security forces close in on them.
Operation Linda Boni director Joseph Kanyiri said the militants might have dropped the explosive as they fled from security agencies. “All our men are accounted for safely. We will not relent,” he said.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.