The Communications Authority is under pressure to deny poll malpractices in the August 8 election, NASA leader Raila Odinga has said.
This was part of Raila's response on Wednesday after CA director general Francis Wangusi's said he should stop engaging in blanket lynching’ of investors.
Wangusi said this after Raila claimed one of Safaricom's VPNs terminated transmission of results, cutting links between KIEMs kits and IEBC servers.
In an address to the press at Capitol Hill in Nairobi on Wednesday, the Opposition leader asked how the electoral agency transferred national data outside the country.
"They are under pressure to respond. The data was transferred by Safaricom to the server in France. How did IEBC transfer it back to Kenya without using service providers?"
Raila further said they have the powers to stop Kenyans from using certain providers.
"The question we asked yesterday has not been addressed. We have the powers ..if they want to strangle democracy we won't allow that," he said.
"We can tell our people not to buy services. That time is coming...it has not come yet."
The Opposition leader had claimed the IEBC cloud server to which transmission was terminated is registered in Spain but operated from France by OT-Morpho - the KIEMS kits supplier.
But Safaricom CEO Bob Collymore dismissed the claims saying the firm transmitted all election results from the KIEMS kits to IEBC servers as per laid down procedures.
Raila claimed IEBC reported the theft to Safaricom but the firm continued to allow the kits to transmit results even though they were no longer under IEBC's control.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.