Lake Victoria is suffocating and man is the culprit, experts have said. Dr Ali-Said, Matano (pictured), the executive secretary of Lake Victoria Basin Commission said the lake and its basin are faced with myriads of challenges that have never been experienced before.
“Some of these challenges include water pollution, declining fishing stocks, water weeds, fluctuating water levels, destruction of wetlands, release of domestic and industrial effluents into the lake. Land degradation, deforestation and sedimentation of rivers are also a big problems in the lake basin,” Matano said in a statement.
He said to reverse the current negative demographic trends and environment degradations, there is need to radically change the mindset of the population in the Lake Victoria Basin.
One way to do this, Matano said, is to embrace the unique population, environment and health (PHE) nexus.
“It is a nexus that guarantees that population issues are without exclusion integrated into environment and health,” he said.
“Today, the global discourse by countries is the implementation of the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals. PHE approach has the thinking globally and acting locally philosophy, which has been attested by communities in Trans Nzoia county in Kenya, Kapchorua in Uganda and Bariadi in Tanzania as well as communities in Rwanda and Burundi.”
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.