Kenya Sevens star Willy Ambaka has been named in the Manawatu Turbos squad for New Zealand’s Mitre 10 Cup which runs from August to October.
Ambaka, who joined the outfit in May, has settled down with the provincial outfit and is confident of getting game time in th the tournament against quality players in New Zealand. “It’s been long journey but I am settled with the club and learning new things everyday here, which will enable me to improve rugby and my career,” added Ambaka.
Ambaka, who had professional stints with Lyon (France) and Western Province (South Africa), said the rugby culture in New Zealand is different from his previous expriences in France and SA.
“Here they focus a lot on skill level and doing the basics right. A lot of emphasis is put on refining your basic core skills which enables you to be a better all round player going forward unlike France and South Africa where the rugby is hinged on physical play and strength,” added Ambaka. The former Quins’ player can play as winger, fullback or centre in the backs. Ambaka, a mainstay for Shujaa between 2012 and 2016, will link up with seasoned players such as All Blacks Sevens’ star Ambrose Curtis, rising star Ngani Laumape, Rugby World Cup 2015 winners Nehe Milner-Skudder and Aaron Smith as the championship division side seek to secure qualification to the Premiership division.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.