KNUT is not affiliated to NASA, chairman Mudzo Nzili has said, amid speculation since ODM nominated secretary general Wilson Sossion to the 12th Parliament.
"I am here to remove any doubt that KNUT supports a certain political party. We have not held any meeting to agree on the party we will support," Nzili said.
Speaking during a rally in Kinango on Thursday, he said although he supports Jubilee Party, teachers are free to back parties of their choice.
"The Teachers Union has to work with the government to realise its mandate and the the government had agreed to increase teachers’ salaries as agreed with the union," he said in Kwale at the meeting DP William Ruto attended.
Sossion defended ODM's move on Wednesday saying he will continue representing the labour movement in the National Assembly.
“I shall carry the spirit of workers to the floor of the House. I will do this for the best interest of the Kenyan workers," he said.
"I applaud ODM party for nominating me and taking the interest of workers at heart."
The SG said he will not resign despite ODM's nomination.
He maintained will continue serving as secretary general and Trade Unions Congress of Kenya, which proposed his nomination, defended the decision.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.