Seven leaders from Nyamira and Kisii have promised to deliver the more than 500,000 votes in the two counties to NASA presidential flagbearer Raila Odinga.
They spoke on Wednesday during a rally attended by the NASA Pentagon at Gusii Stadium, Kisii.
They are governors John Nyagarama (Nyamira) and James Ongwae (Kisii), MPs Timothy Bosire (Kitutu Masaba) and Richard Onyonka (Kitutu Chache South), woman representative Alice Chae, nominated Senator Janet Ongâera and former Education minister Sam Ongeri.
The leaders promised to ensure that President Uhuru Kenyatta gets less than 10 per cent of the votes from the two counties, which overwhelmingly voted for Raila in the March 4, 2013 election.
âThere is a complete paradigm shift in the region. The ground has completely shifted and the community is solidly behind Railaâs presidential bid,â said Bosire, the ODM national treasurer.
His sentiments were shared by Ongeri who was President Uhuruâs point man in Kisii in 2013.
âI donât see them [Jubilee Party] getting even 10 per cent here. Iâm always on the side that forms government and we shall work extra hard to ensure that Raila becomes President,â Ongeri said. The move by Ongeri to quit JP added fresh impetus to NASA. He will run for Kisii senator.
Kisii Deputy Governor Joash Maangi also returned to ODM after a short stint in JP.
Earlier, the opposition suffered a blow after Senator Chris Obure and Bomachoge Chache MP Simon Ogari defected to JP.
Ongwae, who is Railaâs point man in Kisii, said the region is â100 per cent in NASAâ.
âThere is a wrong notion that JP is gaining ground here. We are firmly in NASA and this will be confirmed on August 8,â he said.
Fight for a NASA win
Nyagarama said, âWe are ready to fight until the end to ensure that Raila becomes the President of this county.â
After the leaders had spoken, Raila said, âThe Kisii people have made a strong statement that this is a NASA stronghold and people are tired with Jubilee. However, we are not yet there. On August 8, ensure you turn out in large numbers to send them home.â
Raila said JP should be completely locked out of the region.
Earlier, at a meeting in Kisii Sports Club, Raila said NASA is targeting at least 2.5 million votes in his Nyanza stronghold and 1.5 million in Western.
Raila and his running mate Kalonzo Musyoka downplayed the rivalry between NASA parties in the region.
âThe rivalry in the governor, senator, MP and woman rep seats is like friendly fire, which should not distract us from our main target of removing Jubilee from power,â Kalonzo said.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.