The hunt has begun for the next speaker of Nakuru assembly, after the incumbent, Susan Kihika, won the JP ticket for Nakuru senator.
The seat of the speaker is widely considered the third most powerful in the county set-up.
The top contenders include Roads executive Joel Maina, Zack Njeru, deputy speaker Eunice Njeri and senior lawyer John Githui.
The four candidates have been holding meetings with various county leaders to lobby for the seat.
The list of contenders is, however, expected to grow in coming months.
The speaker of county assembly is appointed by elected and nominated MCAs before constituting the full house.
Electing the speaker will be the first business of the day once the house reconvenes after the August 8 election.
Viwandani MCA Eunice Mureithi has also expressed interest in the seat.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.