One person died while three others were seriously injured on Wednesday night after the bus they were travelling in was involved in an accident at Kwachocha near Malindi town.
The dead man was the driver of the Modern Coast Bus. He rammed into a stationary trailer that had been involved in a minor accident with a tuk-tuk.
Witnesses said Almarhun Farid died on impact while a 12-year-old child was trapped inside the bus. The bus was travelling from Malindi to Nairobi when the accident took place at 8.30pm.
The driver was driving past the trailer when another vehicle appeared ahead. Witnesses said he was speeding and rammed into the trailer when he hit the emergency brakes.
The owner of the tuk-tuk was injured.
Well-wishers and a team of Kenya Red Cross Society officials rushed to the scene and took the survivors to the Malindi Subcounty Hospital.
There were 45 passengers in the bus.
Malindi OCPD Matawa Muchangi said the drivers of the trailer and tuk-tuk were waiting for traffic police officers to assess the impact.
âMotorists should avoid careless driving and speeding. This accident could have been avoided if the driver of the bus was careful,â he said.
The accident caused a huge traffic jam but police officers came to the scene and restored normal flow.
Benson Orombo, the bus conductor, blamed the lorry driver for not turning on the hazard lights.
Hundreds of curious onlookers flocked to the scene.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.