Kisumu Senator Anyang Nyongâo has started his campaign for the ODM governor ticket. The ODM primaries will take place next month.
He pitched tent in the lakeside city at the weekend and visited many estates. Nyongâo said he is best placed to drive devolution.
He said Governor Jack Rangumaâs administration has failed to live up to the devolution spirit by starving residents of the benefits of the 2010 Constitution.
âThose who were given the opportunity to run the county affairs have let the people down,â Nyongâo said.
He promised to carry out a lifestyle audit of the county workers upon assuming office.
To develop city
âItâs unfortunate that residents continue to suffer due to increased corruption because they are using contracts to get kickbacks for their own selfish gains instead of using the money for development,â the senator said.
He said that he has a proper roadmap to develop the city and asked why there is no board in place to look into the affairs of the city.
Nyongâo said Kisumu is strewn with garbage and the dumpsite at Kachok is an eyesore. He said he will take care of these once elected governor.
Nyongâo denied that he will block hawkers and boda boda operators from the Central Business District.
He was accompanied by Nyando MP Fred Outa, who is campaigning to succeed him as senator.
Outa urged President Uhuru Kenyatta to ensure a peaceful transition.
He said Uhuru must be ready to hand over power after the election of a NASA candidate, whom he said will be Raila Odinga.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.