Policewoman Linda Okello, who gained popularity over a skirt deemed immodest, has been kicked out of the traffic department.
Okello has been transferred from the Kiambu traffic department to Molo police station where she will work as a general duties officer.
She was moved on Wednesday, 13 months after she was demoted following corruption allegations.
The new position will see Okello take part in police patrols, guard prisoners in the cells and transport them to and from court. She will also help provide security in the wake of political campaigns.
Okello shot to fame when images of her in the skirt went viral on social media. The officer was later voted one of the woman representatives in the service.
She was demoted from a corporal to a constable after she was found with a Sh1,000 note during a sting operation by traffic headquarters.
Two officers who were with her during the operation escaped but she stayed put.
Traffic commandant Jacinta Muthoni, who was Okello’s overall supervisor at the traffic department, last January declined to comment on why she was demoted.
"I cannot comment on administrative issues. Who leaked the information? I will not comment; ask the higher authorities." Muthoni said on phone.
The decision to demote the officer drew mixed reactions from the rank and file in the police service.
An officer who sought anonymity said it was unfair as there was no evidence of corruption while others wanted Okello charged in court.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.