Skip to main content
November 15, 2018

Death toll of Kenyans in hajj crush rises to six, eight missing - Supkem

Rescue workers carry the body of a Muslim pilgrim after a stampede at Mina, outside the holy Muslim city of Mecca, September 24, 2015.  REUTERS/Stringer
Rescue workers carry the body of a Muslim pilgrim after a stampede at Mina, outside the holy Muslim city of Mecca, September 24, 2015. REUTERS/Stringer

The number of Kenyans who died in the hajj stampede in Saudi Arabia has risen to six while eight others are missing, Supkem has said.

Chairman Abdulghafur El-Busaidy asked the Saudi government to compensate the families of the casualties.

El-Busaidy further urged the Kenyan government to review the rules and regulations governing the security of nationals in other countries.

He addressed a press conference at Supkem headquarters in Nairobi on Tuesday.

More than 717 pilgrims were killed and a least 805 others injured last week in a stampede outside the Muslim holy city of Mecca.

Saudi Arabia Deputy Head of Mission in Nairobi Ali Othman said investigations are ongoing amid reports that the pilgrims were at fault.

Saudi Arabia’s health minister Khaled al-Falih said; The tragedy would not have occurred had the pilgrims followed instructions".

The disaster was the worst to befall the pilgrimage since July 1990, when 1,426 pilgrims were crushed to death in a tunnel near Mecca.

 

Poll of the day