Uhuru orders recruitment of extra medical personnel after confirmed coronavirus case

In Summary

• Earlier, Health CS Mutahi Kagwe said Kenya has a confirmed coronavirus case.

• Uhuru said all National Government Administration Officers should be tasked to ensure that all the measures announced are put in place.

President Kenyatta when he received the initial report of the National Emergency Response Committee on Coronavirus on March 12, 2020.
President Kenyatta when he received the initial report of the National Emergency Response Committee on Coronavirus on March 12, 2020.
Image: PSCU

President Uhuru Kenyatta has ordered National Security infrastructure to mobilize to back the National Emergency Response Committee on coronavirus.

Following an emergency session of the National Security Council on Friday, Uhuru directed additional medical personnel be recruited and retained on an emergency basic contract to support the precautionary management measures to enhance surveillance and check any possible spread of the coronavirus in the country.

 

Uhuru said all National Government Administration Officers should be tasked to ensure that all the measures announced are put in place.

 

"The Government will do everything possible to ensure an effective response to the now global challenge of COVID19 and would like to encourage Kenyans to remain calm," he added.

Earlier on Friday, Health CS Mutahi Kagwe said Kenya has a confirmed coronavirus case.

"....the country has confirmed the first case of coronavirus from a patient who arrived in Kenya," he said.

The patient was a Kenyan citizen who returned on March 5 from the US via London, UK.

Kagwe said the patient is stable, and she will not be released until she tests negative.

The CS has urged Kenyans to remain calm as the government has put in place enough measures to prevent the virus from spreading.


More: