logo
ADVERTISEMENT

We’ re sorry, we will do better next time - Stars’ Captain Aboud Omar

“We feel that we have disappointed a lot of Kenyans."

image
by FELIX KIPKEMOI

News28 August 2025 - 18:10
ADVERTISEMENT

In Summary


  • Omar also praised President Ruto for his active involvement in the team’s preparations, noting significant improvements in football infrastructure and morale.
  • “Thank you so much Mr President, you have supported us in a special way. I have been in the national team for the last 15 years but I have never seen such a support,” he said.
Harambee Stars captain Aboud Omar (left) with President William Ruto during a luncheon at State House  on August 28, 2025/PCS


Harambee Stars players have openly expressed heartfelt gratitude to President William Ruto for his unwavering support during their African Nations Championship (CHAN) campaign.

This, as they apologised to fans for failing for falling short of expectations.

Speaking during a luncheon hosted by the President at State House, Nairobi, team captain Aboud Omar admitted the team had let down the nation after failing to reach the tournament’s finals.

“We feel that we have disappointed a lot of Kenyans, we thought and believed that we would win the CHAN but God had His own plans,” he said.

“We are sorry, and we are going to do better next time.”

Omar also praised President Ruto for his active involvement in the team’s preparations, noting significant improvements in football infrastructure and morale.

“Thank you so much Mr President, you have supported us in a special way. I have been in the national team for the last 15 years, but I have never seen such support,” he said.

He highlighted the positive impact of the President’s involvement, citing the impressive fan turnout at their matches as proof of renewed public enthusiasm for Kenyan football.

In his remarks, Ruto commended Harambee Stars for lifting the country’s spirit despite not reaching the finals, describing them as a unifying force that brought Kenyans together across counties and workplaces.

He admitted in jest that his absence from the stands might even have cost the team a win. Looking to the future, Ruto declared that Kenya’s journey to AFCON 2027 had already begun.

He promised government funding and announced plans for a meeting next week with FKF, the Ministry of Sports, and corporate sponsors to design a structured support framework for football.

“We want to prepare properly this time. We will build from the grassroots, every village, every county, and ensure Harambee Stars is ready for the challenge of AFCON 2027,” he said.

He also emphasised that governance had long been a stumbling block in Kenyan football, but insisted the current leadership team could steer the game with professionalism and integrity.

His remarks were seen as a vote of confidence in FKF at a time when sponsors and fans have often raised concerns about accountability.

Related Articles