logo
ADVERTISEMENT

Mombasa activists demand answers after blogger dropped from Witness Protection Programme

Bruce says he had been under the programme for 11 months before being abruptly dropped.

image
by CHARLES MGHENYI

Coast28 August 2025 - 08:03
ADVERTISEMENT

In Summary


  • The concern came days after Bruce revealed he had been withdrawn from witness protection, despite his ongoing case implicating senior Mombasa county officials.
  • The blogger claims he was sexually assaulted on September 12, 2024, shortly after sharing a social media video that allegedly angered a top county leader and his allies.
Haki Kenya Organisation Executive Director Michael Nato (C) briefs the press on the sudden removal of a blogger from witness protection/KNA




Activists in Mombasa have petitioned the Witness Protection Agency to explain why blogger Bruce John was suddenly removed from its programme, warning that his life is now at risk.

The concern came days after Bruce revealed he had been withdrawn from witness protection, despite his ongoing case implicating senior Mombasa county officials.

The blogger claims he was sexually assaulted on September 12, 2024, shortly after sharing a social media video that allegedly angered a top county leader and his allies.

Speaking to journalists last Saturday, Bruce said he had been under the programme for 11 months before being abruptly dropped.

He said officials had promised to move him to another county for safety, but instead abandoned him in Mombasa.

Bruce further alleged that the agency had failed to fulfil its commitment to replace his damaged teeth, which were broken during the assault.

“I am left with only four molars. They promised to repair my dental formula, but nothing was done,” he said, adding that he is now struggling with trauma, depression and medical complications.

He also accused politicians of using him for political gain before abandoning him.

Haki Kenya executive director Michael Nato confirmed they have formally written to the WPA demanding clarity on the matter.

“Why should someone be removed from protection under unclear circumstances? This exposes him to danger ahead of his testimony,”  Nato said.

Bruce is expected to testify on September 25 at Shanzu law courts, where four suspects are facing charges.

The accused—Abdul Athman, Haji Babu, Esther Muthoni and Violet Adera—have been charged with conspiracy to commit a felony and abduction with intent to confine.

The activists are also pressing for intervention and ensure the safety of the blogger.

They argue that since the state allocates funds to the Witness Protection Agency, the public has a right to demand accountability and professionalism.

“We want to know how many people are under protection to ensure there is value for money. When someone is admitted into the programme, the expectation is that they will be safeguarded until their case is concluded,” Nato added.

Human rights defender John Walele, who says he has listened to Bruce’s account, insisted the matter is of public interest and should be heard openly in court.

He also raised concerns that some police officers, who initially handled the case, have since been transferred, while suspects are allegedly pressuring the victim to drop the charges.

The activists say they will continue to push until Bruce’s safety and the integrity of the trial are guaranteed.

Instant analysis

The sudden removal of blogger John Bruce from the Witness Protection Agency raises questions of accountability, transparency and political interference in cases involving influential figures. The fact that Bruce’s testimony implicates senior county officials underscores the sensitivity of the matter, while activists fear his life is in danger.

Related Articles