• The lemon and vinegar in the marinade just need an hour to soak into the chicken. If left longer, it overpowers the chicken and makes it mushy.
• The lemon and vinegar in this recipe makes the chicken really soft and succulent.
This recipe is packed with flavour and zest and has the perfect kick from the lemon and just the right amount of spice.
The lemon and vinegar in this recipe makes the chicken really soft and succulent.
With the perfect timing on marination, the lemon doesn’t get to overpower the flavour of the other ingredients or the overall taste of the chicken.
For the marinade.
- 3 Lemons, squeezed
- 2 tablespoons of lemon zest
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tbsp freshly ground chili flakes
- 1/2 tbsp cayenne chilli pepper
- 1 tbsp hot chili sauce
- 1 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 2 tbsp Soy sauce.
- 1 tbsp white vinegar.
- Salt to taste
For the chicken
- 1 kg chicken drum sticks/thighs
- 1 litre of water
- In a bowl pour in the water and salt and stir till salt has dissolved. Put in the chicken and brine it for about 2 hours.
- In a different bowl add in all the marinade ingredients and mix them till well combined.
- Remove chicken from brine and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Mix the marinade together with the chicken and ensure that the chicken has been fully coated with the marinade.
- Cover the bowl with a cling film and let it sit for an hour.
- Pre heat oven to 190 degrees.
- After an hour of marinating, line rack with the drumsticks and set it in the oven.
- Allow them to bake for 50 minutes
- Sprinkle grated cheese on top of the chicken pieces and add onion rings for extra flavour.
- Let them broil for ten minutes.
- Remove from oven and set on a tray lined with kitchen napkins.
Note: The lemon and vinegar in the marinade just need an hour to soak into the chicken. If left longer, it overpowers the chicken and makes it mushy.
Serve while hot and enjoy.