

A Kenyan man has allegedly been killed while fighting for
the Russian army in Ukraine, just a month after he left the country for a
driving job.
In documents seen by The Star, the Kenyan identified as
Martin Macharia Mburu was allegedly killed in an attack from the Ukrainian side alongside
a Nigerian national on November 27, 2025.
Their passports were recovered with their remains alongside
Russian documents and air tickets, which indicated that Macharia left Kenya on
October 21, 2025.
News of Mburu’s death came after Kirinyaga Central MP,
Joseph Gitari requested a statement from the Departmental Committee on Defence,
Intelligence and Foreign Relations regarding Macharia’s forced recruitment into
the Russian army alongside another Kenyan named Peter Kimemia Kamanu.
The legislator further requested for a report on the
progress of investigations into their forced recruitment and the immediate
action taken by the Ministry of Foreign and Diaspora Affairs to engage the
Russian Federation of their repatriation.
“The two are said to have undergone a three-day training before
being deployed to the frontlines of the ongoing Russia-Ukraine conflict.
“This incident raises grave concerns about the safety and
welfare of Kenyans seeking legitimate opportunities abroad, as well as
effectiveness of our diplomatic interventions,” Gitari said in the National
Assembly.
Mburu and Kamanu did not have prior military experience,
according to the legislator.
Mburu’s case becomes the first publicly known case of a
Kenyan killed fighting for the Russian army.
Another Kenyan, Evans Kibet, surrendered to the Ukrainian side and is currently a prisoner of war in the country.
According to the air ticket, Mburu left the country about a
month after a Russian national believed to have been behind the recruitment of
Kenyans into fighting in Russia was deported from the country.
His arrest followed a discovery by a multi-agency security
team of 21 Kenyans in Athi-River set to be trafficked into Russia, with the
promise of lucrative salaries.
According to the embassy in Kenya, however, Mikhail Lyapin, reports
around his deportation were misleading, insisting that the businessman was
scheduled to depart the country on the said date.
This comes a few weeks after the Russian Embassy in Nairobi
denied any forced or illegal recruitment of citizens from other nationalities
into their military to fight against Russia.
Foreign Affairs Principal Secretary Korir Sing’oei
confirmed the commitment on Tuesday following high-level bilateral talks with
Russian Ambassador to Kenya, Vsevolod Tkachenko, in Nairobi.
During the meeting, the Russian Federation reiterated its
official stance against the forced conscription of foreign nationals.
“I am grateful for the assurances of the Russian
Federation of her policy of intolerance towards involuntary recruitment of
non-nationals into their security forces,” Sing’oei stated.
Prime Cabinet Secretary Musalia Mudavadi who is also
in-charge of Foreign and Diaspora Affairs Ministry said that more than 200 Kenyans are fighting for Russia
in its war against Ukraine.
Among them are former members of Kenya's security forces,
according to Mudavadi.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has over the last few weeks
announced the repatriation of at least four Kenyans from Russia who had been
sent to the frontlines. It says the repatriation exercise continues.
While such cases continue to be reported, the Ministry of
Foreign Affairs insists it is still working on a labour agreement programme
with the Russian Federation that will stop such cases of exploitation.
“The Government of Kenya through the Ministry of Foreign
Affairs is keen on strengthening relations with the Russian Federation on
Economic framework and other areas of mutual interest. Both governments are
working closely on a Bilateral Labour Agreement that will ensure Kenyans have
access to genuine job opportunities in Russia,” Mudavadi said on October 27.
He further warned Kenyans to be wary of unregistered agents
promising them jobs abroad.
Meanwhile, Jordan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs says it is
investigating the deaths of two Jordanian citizens who were recruited to fight
alongside the Russian army, warning of rising cases of illegal foreign
recruitment targeting Jordanians.
In a statement on Thursday, the Ministry’s Directorate of
Operations and Consular Affairs said it is “following up on the details related
to the killing of two Jordanian citizens after their recruitment to fight with
the Russian army.”
Ministry spokesperson Fuad Al-Majali said officials are
monitoring operations of deception by external groups aiming to enlist
Jordanians illegally, noting that such acts violate both domestic and
international law and place citizens’ lives at risk.
Al-Majali urged the public to report any recruitment
attempts linked to the Russian army, cautioning that engagement with such
networks carries severe legal and security implications.
He added that Jordan has formally demanded that Russia halt
the recruitment of Jordanian nationals and end the enlistment of any citizen
already serving in its forces.
“The Ministry will take all available measures to stop this
process,” he said.
The Ministry also warned of online networks involved in the
illegal recruitment, saying it is coordinating with national agencies to pursue
those responsible and enforce the law against them.






![[PHOTOS] Ruto present as NIS boss Noordin Haji's son weds](/_next/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.radioafrica.digital%2Fimage%2F2025%2F11%2Ff8833a6a-7b6b-4e15-b378-8624f16917f0.jpg&w=3840&q=100)











