
ICT CS William Kabogo speaking during the 8th Kenya Editors' Guild (KEG) Annual Convention 2025 in Kilifi, November 28, 2025. /KEG/XInformation, Communications and Digital Economy Cabinet Secretary William Kabogo has praised Kenya’s strong media freedom, saying it has created a safe environment for journalists to operate without fear or intimidation.
Speaking on Friday during the 8th Kenya Editors’ Guild (KEG) Annual Convention in Kilifi, Kabogo said media freedom in Kenya has expanded so significantly that things journalists could never have gotten away with in the past have now become commonplace.
He cited his own experiences with constant banter and online trolling, particularly jokes about his hairline and his manner of dressing.
“Many things happen against me by journalists, but I take them very positively. One is my haircut — they have a big issue with my haircut,” he said, drawing soft murmurs from the conference room.
“But I tell them it’s okay, wivu ni sawa (jealousy is fine) because my barber is God. But your barber — you have to go to Githurai every other week to get a haircut,” he added, prompting more laughter.
Kabogo also recalled another online troll that poked fun at his understanding of technology in the ministry he oversees.
He said an X user named Jimmy created a meme quoting him while responding to the government’s policy decision to migrate to cloud storage.
According to the CS, the user claimed he had said: “Mko na budget ya ndege ama mnatumia matatu?” (Do you have a budget for a flight, or are you using a matatu?)
Kabogo went on to highlight yet another incident where a journalist visited him in his office and, as they sat down for their meeting, his trousers rode up, revealing a multicoloured pair of “happy socks”.
The journalist allegedly took a photo and posted it online with the caption: “This is how Kabogo dresses.”
“The next time I met the young man who did that, I signed off a competition for those things (memes) — and he won Sh100,000 from me because of a very good job he did,” Kabogo said.
“It made me popular, so either way, journalism to me is a hobby. I like it.”
Kabogo contrasted the current media environment with the Kanu era, saying no one would have dared to make fun of government officials without dire consequences.
“During the Moi time, there were certain things you could not say. So media freedom is coming true, and working together in this space is important.”
The convention closed on Saturday with a gala dinner attended by IEBC chairman Erastus Ethekon and Kilifi Governor Gideon Mung’aro.
Earlier in the day, the Media Council of Kenya Director of Media Training and Development, Victor Bwire, said the media must strengthen professionalism to ensure journalism remains a trusted source of information by the public.
He also called for diversity, saying: “We cannot keep treating a few big names as the only credible voices while ignoring emerging journalists.”
On Friday, editors paused to celebrate the lives and contributions of journalists and broadcasters who died this year.
“Their courage, passion and commitment will never be forgotten,” they said.












![[PHOTOS] Ruto present as NIS boss Noordin Haji's son weds](/_next/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.radioafrica.digital%2Fimage%2F2025%2F11%2Ff8833a6a-7b6b-4e15-b378-8624f16917f0.jpg&w=3840&q=100)

