Nyeri court frees three Dusit terror attack suspects

Terror suspects Abdul Kibiringi, James Mwai and Habiba Hunshur who were freed by a Nyeri court on Friday, February 1, 2019. /EUTYCAS MUCHIRI
Terror suspects Abdul Kibiringi, James Mwai and Habiba Hunshur who were freed by a Nyeri court on Friday, February 1, 2019. /EUTYCAS MUCHIRI

A Nyeri court on Friday freed three Dusit terror attack suspects for lack of evidence.

Abdul Kibiringi, James Mwai and Habiba Hunshur had on Monday appeared in court after being

arrested on Friday last week.

The police had asked for five days to complete investigations.

Resident magistrate Nelly Kariuki

allowed the request.

When the suspects

returned to court, the officer in charge of crime at Nyeri police station Cyprian Gitonga said they have completed investigations but traced no offence.

The investigators

were liaising with the Anti-Terrorism Police Unit, he said.

Constable Newton Mwangi from the ATPU had told the court on Monday that investigators were waiting for call logs data to complete investigations.

He had told the court initial investigations indicated the three had a link with other suspects in the attack at Dusit hotel.

Nyeri police had arrested 14

suspects after the Dusit terror attack.

Out of the 14, seven have already been charged in court, three are in remand while two girls are being held at the Ruring’u Juvenile home as they are underage.

A police source told the Star that one is a Ugandan national while the rest are Kenyans.

Police said one of those released will be taken to a rehabilitation centre under ATPU as he had already been radicalised while the two others will be under police watch.

Also read: