- Students' property of unknown value and the entire makeshift dormitory made of iron sheets for high student enrollment was completed razed.
- The neighbours rushed in and put off the fire before it could spread to other dormitories.
Moi Suba Girls Secondary School in Migori suffered a fire on Sunday night that gutted down a dormitory.
Students' property of unknown value and the entire makeshift dormitory made of iron sheets for high student enrollment was completed razed.
Beatrice Otieno, the Suna West subcounty education quality assurance officer, said the dormitory housed 68 students and the fire broke out at about 7pm.
“It was reported that there was a fire at Moi Suba Girls Secondary in a makeshift dormitory called Martha Karua, which houses 68 learners. The fire started within the dormitory and the neighbours came and helped,” Otieno said.
The neighbours rushed in and put off the fire before it could spread to other dormitories.
“A few learners were in the school from a trip waiting to be joined by others as schools reopen on Tuesday for the second term, but nobody was hurt,” she said.
Milka Oyier, the deputy principal, said the incident was unfortunate as attempts to put off the fire using extinguishers and water failed.
Oyier said due to the one hundred per cent primary to secondary school transition the school does not have enough facilities to accommodate the learners, a situation that has now been made worse by the accident.
“We are on course to reopening for Term II and as the administration we will meet to see how we can accommodate the learners,” he said.
The teacher said they would use available classes to accommodate the students as they look for a permanent solution to the 68 affected students mostly from Forms 1 and 2.
Suna West police commander Elizabeth Wakuloba said police got the report from the school deputy principal and rushed to the scene but found everything had been consumed by the fire.
“We are yet to establish the cause of the fire but we have launched the investigations with the help of our experts including Kenya Power. It’s suspected to be an electric fault even though learners were not in school during the incident,” Wakuloba said.
Edited by Henry Makori