Kisumu Poly students to remain in custody for five more days

The 10 are accused of rioting and damaging property

In Summary


• The suspects and others at large are accused of stoning the public and damaging their properties last Monday.

• They were protesting against "arbitrary fees increment and suspensions".

Kisumu Polytechnic students


The 10 Kisumu Polytechnic students facing riot and damage to property charges will spend five extra days in custody as the police conclude investigations.

Winam senior resident magistrate  Joseline Mitei consented to the request of Kondele police station investigative officer Eliub Njehia that he should be given more time to investigate the matter.

Abraham Ngoni, Kidali Carlos, Lordrick Asewe, Joshua Mauti, Granton Maliva, Lordrick Lumumba, Volga Otieno, Henry Odhiambo, Reuben Atei and Brian Ogweno are accused of pelting people with stones and damaging their properties on February 3 at Kisumu National Polytechnic.

They and others not in court are also said to have beaten Vincent Odongo until he was rescued and taken to Jaramogi Oginga Odinga Teaching and Referral Hospital. 

Njehia told the court that key witnesses are yet to record their statements. He said that releasing the respondents on bond would jeopardise the investigations. 

"There is a need to establish damages caused at the institution and neighbouring business community. There is a need to hold them at Kondele police station for identification on February 6," he said. 

He also feared that members of the public might set on the suspects to avenge their losses.

The polytechnic was closed indefinitely. “Following the unrest by the students witnessed on Monday, it has been decided that the institution be closed with immediate effect,” principal Chanzu Lomolo said in a memo seen by the Star.

The students were protesting against "arbitrary fees increment and suspensions".

They had the previous week rioted and stoned the police who, in turn, teargassed them.

The case will be mentioned on February 11.