A night guard was killed when arsonists torched the market on March 12
Traders at Embu town's Marikiti market want the county to allocate funds for its reconstruction.
The market was burnt down by unknown arsonists on March 12. A night guard was killed during the attack.
About 50 traders whose stalls were burnt have petitioned the county assembly to intervene, saying they have been abandoned.
Their petition was read out to the ward representatives by speaker Josiah Thiriku on Thursday.
The traders said people who were compensated for the fire were neither stall owners nor market administrators.
They said most of those who received the compensation were hawkers who often operated outside the market.
In their petition, the traders said they were angry at the county government for failing to rebuild the market which they claim was their only source of livelihood.
They said they had previously petitioned the relevant county department for action with no or little response.
"We, therefore, want the county assembly to take up the matter and oversee the reconstruction of the market," the petition reads.
The petitioners want MCAs to direct the county executive to allow stall owners to erect makeshift structures for the continuation of their businesses as a permanent solution is sought.
Edited by P.O