• Tips to consider when holidaying at the park
With the holidays now in full swing, many families are looking for activities that will result in great memories and a wonderful family time together. The Nairobi National Park is a great venue to consider during these holidays. There is much wildlife and scenery to enjoy.
As you plan a family day in the park, I believe the following basic tips could make your day really fantastic. 1) Try to preplan your food and drinks in advance 2) Use a cooler box with ice packs to keep food and drinks fresh and cold
3) It’s worth waking up very early for a game drive 4) Stop at a picnic site for a meal together 5) Pack a good set of binoculars
6) A map and some basic ID books are useful when seeing various species 7) Having a decent camera helps to enhance the experience as you are able to capture some of your sightings in the form of photos 8) Don’t travel too much, take time to sit and relax at various dams and treed areas
9) Don’t worry about finding lions first. Rather, focus on enjoying every species and then if a lion sighting happens, it will be a special bonus 10) Please take note of the park rules and emergency contact numbers 11) Make sure you bring your original ID to the main gate to avoid complications with fee rates
12) KWS does not accept cash. Most people pay using M-Pesa or credit cards 13) If you have small children, take some practical games or toys with you 14) Slow down to the pace of nature, and relax!
The tranquil peace in the park is tangible and very real. A day in the park is a real “soul tonic” medicine for the inner being, an escape from the fast-paced world around us.