•We are on the brink of cold-and-flu season, which in our house means a lot of snotty noses and sore throats.
•Vitamin C helps prevent the common cold and reduce the duration and severity of cold symptoms.
We are on the brink of cold-and-flu season, which in our house means a lot of snotty noses, coughs and sore throats.
Tomato soup is a very common home remedy for the common cold in many cultures.
In fact, its vitamin C and carotenoid content help stimulate your immune system. Also, vitamin C helps prevent the common cold and reduce the duration and severity of cold symptoms.
Tomato and cayenne soup is good for your throat, but you must add milk, to reduce the acidity in tomatoes which can worsen the throat pains.
- ¼ cup finely minced onion
- ¼ cup finely minced celery
- 3 cloves finely minced garlic
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 can low-sodium tomato sauce or tomatoes
- 1 14.5 oz. can low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup whole milk OR heavy cream(optional)
- 2 tbsp sugar(optional)
- ¼ tsp cayenne powder (or more, depending on your preference)
- Salt and pepper to taste.
In a medium saucepan, melt butter and then sauté the onion and celery.
Add garlic and sauté further for a few minutes before adding the tomato sauce, broth, and milk. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer.
Add the sugar and seasonings. Simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Serve with sliced green onions, chopped parsley, or a drizzle of sour cream.
Enjoy with your favourite bread.