Voting Starts in:

HOMICIDE UNIT ON STANDBY

Kinoti: We're ready to go to UK to conclude Wanjiru murder probe

Says elite homicide unit waiting for feedback from UK before they swing into action.

In Summary

• Kinoti said the elite homicide unit of the police are only waiting for feedback from UK authorities before they swing into action.

• The country's top spy said his team is expecting a confession from the UK suspects or denial which will then mean going through the trial process.

DCI Director George Kinoti on Thursday said his officers from the homicide unit are ready to travel to the United Kingdom to conclude investigations into the brutal murder of Agnes Wanjiru by British soldiers. https://bit.ly/3EjIqyO

Director of Criminal Investigations George Kinoti when he appeared before the Defence committee to answer questions on the investigation on slain Agnes Wanjiru on December 2,.2021
Director of Criminal Investigations George Kinoti when he appeared before the Defence committee to answer questions on the investigation on slain Agnes Wanjiru on December 2,.2021
Image: EZEKIEL AMING'A

DCI Director George Kinoti on Thursday said his officers from the homicide unit are ready to travel to the United Kingdom to conclude investigations into the brutal murder of Agnes Wanjiru by British soldiers.

Speaking during a meeting with National Assembly Defence and Foreign Relations committee, Kinoti said the elite homicide unit of the police are only waiting for feedback from UK authorities before they swing into action.

He said the Foreign Affairs ministry had already written to the UK seeking mutual legal assistance to ensure justice is served in the decade-old murder.

"After we receive communication, our team will travel to the UK to interview the suspects," Kinoti said.

The country's top spy said his team is expecting a confession from the UK suspects or denial which will then mean going through the trial process.

"We may get a confession which may be easier for us because we will have to airlift the suspect. In the event there will be confession, we will still airlift the suspect back and the relevant procedures will follow," the DCI boss said.

He further said his team will also pursue other suspects who assisted the suspect in moving the body from the room and dumping her to the septic tank.

Last week, the Director of Public Prosecutions Noordin Haji ruled out using a social media confession of the British soldier alleged to have killed Wanjiru to take the suspects to court.

Haji said his office will have to wait for the DCI to conclude its probe and identify the real suspects behind the nine-year-old murder case.

The Attorney General has also written to the UK authorities to help in identifying the culprit who made fun of Wanjiru in a group of nine colleagues, through a Facebook post, in which they laughed over the crime.

Speaking when he appeared before the National Assembly’s Defence and Foreign Relations Committee, the DPP termed the social media confession insufficient, saying he will not rely on the same to prosecute his case.

Edited by D Tarus


More: