•The deceased was on July 3, 2019 and two others convicted over the April 2015 incident that left 150 people dead.
•His co-conspirators, Hassan Edin and Mohamed Abdi, who are Kenyans were jailed for a jail term of 41 years each and are still in jail.
A convict who was serving a life sentence for the Garissa University terror attack has been found dead in his cell at the Kamiti Maximum Prisons, Nairobi.
Police and prisons officials said Rashid Mberesero, 26, committed suicide using a piece of blanket he was using in his cell at Block H.
The Tanzanian national's body was found hanging on the window metal grill of the cell with the piece of blanket tied around his neck minutes after death.
Officials said the incident happened at about 3pm on Friday after the convicts had their last meal for the day. His body was taken to the city mortuary.
Mberesero had appealed his sentence and the case was pending at the Milimani law courts.
The deceased was on July 3, 2019 and two others convicted over the April 2015 incident that left 148 people dead.
His co-conspirators, Hassan Edin and Mohamed Abdi, who are Kenyans were jailed for a jail term of 41 years each and are still in jail.
The three had been found guilty of conspiracy to commit a terrorist attack and of belonging to al-Shabaab terror group.
Mberesero was then given the longest term because he was arrested at the scene of the massacre and could not explain his presence there, the court was told.
On April 2, 2015, the world woke up to one of the deadliest act of terror on Kenyan soil.
The Al Shabaab terror group descended upon the Garissa University College killing 148 students.
The attack also left 83 people with serious injuries that left families of those involved with a permanent scar in their lives. scar.
The Office of Director of Public Prosecutions closed its file on the Garissa University attack case on April 2, 2019.
Four out of the five suspects were found to have a case to answer.
A total of 22 witnesses testified against them, including students who survived the attack.
During the defence hearing, three accused persons opted to remain silent as one of them testified on oath on March 25, 2019.