•"Two died as they slept and the third died as he awaited to be rushed to hospital," said James Kilonzo, sub-county police commander.
Police in Transmara West, Narok County, have opened investigations into a Sartuday night incident in which three people were burnt to death at Osupuko area.
They believe the fire may had been sparked by a cigarette, and spread fast in the makeshift houses the deceased were putting up.
Sub-County police chief James Kilonzo said the men were lumberers processing timber.
The deceased were identified as Anyona Ongechi, Riogi Nyabuto and Job Anyona, all from the neighboring Kisii County villages of Kiango and Riyabu.
"Two died as they slept and the third died as he awaited to be rushed to hospital," said James Kilonzo, sub-county police commander.
"The third victim was rescued from the raging flames by residents but died as preparations were underway to take him to hospital."
With the petrol inside the house, fire quickly spread, reducing everything into ash, added Kilonzo.
The bodies were removed to Nyamache Hospital Mortuary in Bobasi to await postmortem.
Bokimonge Ward Rep Amos Onderi, whose two area residents died in the fire, called for investigations.
"We want extensive investigations for justice so that all doubts of possible murder are removed," he said.