AGINST THE LAW

Kibra hopeful say no Jubilee nominations held for by-election

Wants tribunal to hear his complaint on a priority basis.

In Summary

• Kinyanjui says the Jubilee Party National Elections Board did not conduct the process of nomination as prescribed by the law.

• Mariga will contest for the Kibra by-election on November 7 after he was cleared by the Independent and Electoral Boundaries Commission.

Former Harambee Stars international McDonald Mariga with his supporters at the Jubilee Party Headquarters on Monday, September 2.
Former Harambee Stars international McDonald Mariga with his supporters at the Jubilee Party Headquarters on Monday, September 2.
Image: COURTESY

 Jubilee party member Morris Kinyanjui has petitioned the political parties tribunal claiming no nominations were held for Kibra constituency by-election.

Kinyanjui through Lawyer Benson Njagi says the Jubilee Party National Elections Board did not conduct the process of nomination as prescribed by the law.

He claims the board's decision to select footballer Macdonald Mariga was in contravention of the party’s constitution.

Kinyanjui in the documents filed before the tribunal claims that due process was not followed in selecting Mariga as the party's ticket holder.

He wants the tribunal to hear his complaint on a priority basis. 

“Mariga has proceeded with a campaign that is a foundation of a nomination process that was illegal and in contravention of my constitutionally protected rights,” he says.

Kinyanjui claims that he was invited for an interview via text message on August 29 at Jubilee Headquarters. However, a second message indicated that the interview had been postponed to September 2.

He attended the interview and was ushered in the boardroom where the National Elections Board chairman introduced the members and purpose of the interview was to check the qualifications and suitability of the candidates.

He says he sought clarification that the interview process was not a nomination and he was given an assurance by the NEB chairman that any nomination would be conducted as per rules of the party constitution.

He says after the interview he was informed that he and other aspirants would be later informed of the results of the interview.

“It was only later during the 9pm news that I saw reports that the National Elections Board had declared one Macdonald Mariga as the Jubilee Party candidate for Kibra constituency by-elections scheduled on November 7,” read the documents.

Mariga will contest for the Kibra by-election on November 7 after he was cleared by the Independent and Electoral Boundaries Commission.

Kibra returning officer Beatrice Muli had invalidated his nomination on grounds that his name was missing from the register of voters.

IEBC chair Wafula Chebukati said that absence of his name in the voters' register could not be taken as conclusive proof of lack of registration.

The seat fell vacant after the death of Ken Okoth on July 26 after a battle with cancer.  Kinyanjui was also a Kibra MP aspirant in 2017.