Madaraka Express Nairobi-Mombasa operations suspended over Covid-19

Uhuru enforces 10 hour curfew in wake of Covid-19 pandemic

In Summary

• This will be in effect to limit the spread of the virus.

Revised schedule.
Revised schedule.
Image: COURTESY

Kenya Railways has announced suspension of travel using Madaraka Express from Nairobi-Mombasa, Nairobi-Suswa and Nairobi Terminus - Ngong.

In a statement on Thursday, it said this was in line with President Uhuru Kenyatta's directive of a 7pm to 5am curfew beginning on Friday.

Kenya Railways also revised services on the inter-county train.

 

This comes as the first Kenyan Covid-19 patient died on Thursday and the number of cases rose by 3 to 31.

Uhuru on Wednesday said on the curfew, "This will be in effect to limit the spread of the (corona)virus."

There had earlier been speculation of a lockdown in Kenya, however, goverenment spokesman Cyrus Oguna dismissed it.

 

He said, "There is information on social media of a possible lockdown in Kenya. The information is false, misinforming and causing panic. Don’t consume such content whose source can’t be verified."

Uhuru said Kenya will prevail and overcome the pandemic.

"Together we shall be victorious. We can win this battle. We can and shall defeat the coronavirus pandemic."

Uhuru said Kenya has experienced cases where transmission was from political and religious leaders, which he said was unfortunate.

 

He was referring to the case of Kilifi Deputy Governor Gideon Saburi, who was forced to self-quarantine after it emerged he had returned from a trip to Berlin and failed to isolate himself.

He tested positive for Covid-19.

The DG attended a burial and other official functions in Kilifi county, exposing many to the virus.

 

Kilifi has been classified as one of the hotspots for the coronavirus.

A priest was also criticised after failing to self quarantine after travelling from Italy and attending a burial in Siaya.

 

Earlier, Uhuru announced the full recovery of one Covid-19 patient.

"Today we have registered our first patient who has fully recovered from this virus," he said on Wednesday.

But he noted that Kenya has received confirmation of an additional three cases, bringing the tally to 28 confirmed cases.