• Tens of youths armed themselves on Tuesday morning ready for revenge attacks.
• Trouble began when a teenager, a form one student who was herding livestock in Olmariko area was shot in the thigh by suspected cattle rustlers.
One person has been killed and three others left with arrows lodged in their bodies in the latest ethnic clashes in Olposimoru, Mau Narok along the Nakuru-Narok border.
Rift Valley Regional Commissioner, George Natembeya said fighting between two communities over alleged cattle theft flared on Monday evening and continued to early Tuesday morning.
Several houses in Baghdad and Tegat areas were torched overnight in retaliatory attacks as tension remained high.
Tens of youths armed themselves on Tuesday morning ready for revenge attacks.
Trouble began when a teenager, a form one student who was herding livestock in Olmariko area was shot in the thigh by suspected cattle rustlers.
The wounded boy ran home and reported the incident which sparked off the fighting.
Natembeya said a high level security team from Narok and Nakuru Counties has been deployed in the area to restore peace and security.
"More security officers have been deployed to support the local police with firm instructions to quell recurrence of violence and arrest any law breaker," said Natembeya.
Natembeya added that police were following leads after several suspects in the raid were named by the communities involved.
“Fighting began following an attempted stock theft incident, one person lost his life and three others survived with arrows lodged in their bodies,” he said.
He said security has been beefed up at the border town to quell further tension warning communities against any retaliatory attacks.
Natembeya asked the communities to remain calm and allow security agencies deal with the situation.
The three survivors were taken to Olenguruone Sub County Hospital in Kuresoi South with arrows lodged in their bodies.
Kuresoi South Sub County Police Commander Henry Nyaranga said the victim’s body was taken to the same hospital’s morgue.
Olenguruone Sub County Hospital Medical Superintendent Solomon Bera said plans were underway to transfer one of the survivors who had an arrow lodged in the head to Nakuru County Referral Hospital for removal.
He said the deceased had been identified as 30-year-old Patrick Lenai.
Bera confirmed that two of the three patients brought in are in stable condition and are currently undergoing routine checkups.
The area has been experiencing inter-ethnic clashes for the past three decades with the last incident last month claiming eight people.
Following the incident, the government closed off Logoman block of Mau Forest Complex from access by any civilians after rising cases of cattle rustling in the area.