NAIROBI EXPRESSWAY

City traffic to continue as KenNHa announces opening dates for closed sections

The JKIA -Mlolongo and the Westlands - James Gichuru sections will be opened on September 30.

In Summary

• KeNHA said congestion could still be experienced at the GM area where a footbridge is being installed as well as the Bunyala roundabout and Uhuru highway where hoisting of box girders is ongoing.

•The JKIA -Mlolongo and the Westlands - James Gichuru sections will be opened on September 30.

Nairobi Expressway. Image: Charleen Malwa.
Nairobi Expressway. Image: Charleen Malwa.

Motorists have been advised to expect continued traffic on some sections of roads caused by the construction of the Nairobi Expressway.

In a notice on Monday, the Kenya National Highways Authority said congestion could still be experienced at the GM area where a footbridge is being installed as well as the Bunyala roundabout and Uhuru highway where hoisting of box girders is ongoing.

KeNHa Director general David Muchilwa apologised for any inconvenience that may be caused in the construction which he said stands at 62 per cent overall progress.

The expressway construction has turned Nairobi into a nightmare with cars piling up for hours during rush hour.

Overlapping and resulting accidents have become a common feature, despite the deployment of additional traffic police.

Billions of shillings have been set aside for traffic management.

The Authority announced opening dates for the remaining closed sections to ease the traffic situation.

The JKIA -Mlolongo and the Westlands - James Gichuru sections will be opened on September 30. The Haile Selassie - UoN Roundabout section will be unblocked on October 15.

The 18.5km road starts at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport and ends at the James Gichuru Junction along Waiyaki Way in Westlands.

The official name is the JKIA-James Gichuru Expressway.

KeNHA had on June 6 directed the contractor in charge of the Sh67 billion project to implement a better traffic management system on Mombasa Road.

In January 2021, Transport Cabinet Secretary James Macharia gazetted the expressway as a toll road.

It is to be completed in 2022.

Last week, budget experts sounded the alarm over the secrecy in the construction of the Expressway project saying it would impact its uptake.

A parliamentary team said the absence of proper disclosure is the reason the project has not won the full support of the public hence may pose a challenge of acceptability.

The Parliamentary Budget Office asked MPs to explore mechanisms of engaging the concerned so that the project is fully understood by Kenyans.

“The project has not won the full support of the public since it is shrouded with lack of proper and comprehensive information disclosure,” PBO said in a September 13 report.

The experts want MPs to help extract information that will deal with ambiguities in the project, “especially on assumptions behind the 30 years’ period given to the investor to collect tolls on the road.”

Edited by D Tarus